June 16, 2008

Father's Day at Pocono


Unless you've been behind the wheel of a stock car, there is no way to appreciate what NASCAR drivers go thru weekly to earn their living. If you think these rednecks just like to turn left, you'd be as ignorant as you believe they are.

Yesterday I learned first-hand what it's like to sit behind the wheel of an 800 horsepower machine. Getting used to the power was the easy part. Having the nerve to drive it hard into turn one, slightly more difficult.

One goal was to maintain 4 car lengths from the car in front of you - a task much easier said than done. The other, no flags or warnings from the flag man atop the start/finish line. Mission there, accomplished. I maxed out at 8200 RPM, which equals roughly 162 MPH, on my final run down the front stretch.


I can't imagine too many ways to spend Father's Day, better than this one. Not a bad mid-life-crisis birthday gift from my wife either. Thanks honey!

My 7 year old got the picture of the day as her Daddy's number 25 screamed by. A budding photographer I have on my hands.

Many thanks to the guys at Stock Car Racing Experience.

No comments: